Work Around the iPod iOS 4.1 Battery Drain Issue

by Michael W. Lind on October 4, 2010

I previously wrote about a usable workaround for the iPod iOS 4.0 battery drain issue. I had high hopes that iOS 4.1 would fix the issue, but no luck. I still have to put the iPod into airplane mode to avoid the battery draining while the iPod sleeps. While it is not an excessive amount of work, it is easy to forget to do. I wind up not being able to check the weather on my iPod in the morning and I have to fall back to 20th century technology: the clock radio!

{ 6 comments… read them below or add one }

Sean Sullivan October 8, 2010 at 6:01 AM

The battery drain issue started for my 2nd Gen iPod touch with iOS 4.1, and I was also using Airplane Mode to mitigate the issue.

I don’t think it’s an problem related to a specific iOS, but rather, a bug in the iTunes iOS update process. I reset a number of applications, network settings, etc. No improvement.

But then finally, I made a full backup, and I managed to resolve the issue with a full restore. Then I did a restore from backup, and luckily, the problem is now solved. No more need for Airplane Mode.

Michael W. Lind October 8, 2010 at 10:47 AM

Thanks for the tip, Sean! I just did a full restore and the iPod is fully charged. I’ll report back how it works.

Michael W. Lind October 11, 2010 at 7:28 AM

It has now been less than three days since doing a factory restore on my iPod. I left Wi-Fi on at all times. My usage was light – only occasional web browsing, but I am already getting a low battery warning. Back to the drawing board….

Sean Sulllivan October 12, 2010 at 5:58 PM

Bummer. Sorry that it didn’t resolve the issue. Perhaps my luck has something to do with the other resets as well as the restore…

Hopefully iOS 4.2 fixes the issue for you (and doesn’t reintroduce to me).

Michael W. Lind October 16, 2010 at 1:36 PM

I have had some success by doing a factory restore of iOS 4.1 and then not restoring my previous personal backup. Battery life has returned to normal. Now it appears that I will have to manually install all of the applications and manually configure their settings.

Michael W. Lind December 31, 2010 at 7:59 AM

This issue is now solved! Thanks for your help, Sean!